Monday, March 19, 2012

Moist and Delicious - Blueberry Oat Muffins

When my little sister got home from the hospital with her new baby, I wanted to bake some healthy, wholesome, delicious food and snacks for her and her family. Being a new mom... I have been there, when you get home with a new baby, you need all the help and support you can get, and one of the ways I wanted to help was by making homemade muffins made with oats and antioxidant-filled blueberries.
Look at the batter, I used frozen blueberries that thawed a little too much, the batter was all purplely-blueish.
Here's the final muffin. They turned out delish!!! Barrie, Julie's husband just loved them... he couldn't stop talking about it! And I saved a few for my family too and he's right, they were so moist and sweet because of the blueberries and the brown sugar.  
This recipe came from an old cookbook that was in my library- the Baking Festival Cookbook.

Blueberry Oat Muffins

1 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt ( I also added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 melted butter
1 cup blueberries

Directions:
Combines oats and buttermilk. Let stand for 10 minutes. Combine next 5 ingredients in large mixing bow. Stir well to blend. Add egg and melted butter to oat mixture. Mix well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Gently forl in blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan sprayed with Pam. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes of until top springs back when lightly touched.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins. Nutriotional Information per muffin:
167 calories, 28g carbs, 5g fat, 4g protein, 1g fibre, 16g sugar

Look, even Stephanie likes them, she's smiling! And there's Barrie behing me snoozing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...