Friday, July 13, 2012

The Flank Steak Experiment- Happy Father's Day

I don't know about you, but my man loves his MEAT! So when I had to think up of the best dinner to prepare for him.... it had to be beef. Now, I have heard so much about preparing flank steak from my friend Bobby Flay on the Food Network. But when it came to finding the perfect recipe, I didn't really like any of his, instead I went on a wild Internet recipe search for the best recipe.... and this is what I found.
Here's the delicious way you start marinating the meat days in advance. This recipe comes from a blogger who swears that this is the best family recipe that his mom makes.... so you know, I had to try it for sure.

BBQ Flank Steak

What You'll Need...
3 lbs of good quality flank steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger (freshly grated could work too I suppose)
3/4 cup of salad oil
1 cup of chopped green onions

What You'll Do...
1) Combine the ingredients into a marinade. Marinate steak in a wide, shallow dish for 2-4 days, piercing with a fork and turning in the morning and at night. Keep covered with plastic wrap.

2) BBQ steak for 7 minutes on each side.

3) Slice diagonally in thin slices.




Here's the beef, just resting after the BBQ - yes I did BBQ it myself and make grill marks too. This was after all a day 'off' for Brent. What the recipe doesn't mention, but Bobby Flay always talks about, is that you need to let the meat rest for about 5 minutes so that the juices go back inside the meat and the meat get all juicy and succulent.

I told you, juicy and succulent! Maybe a little to rare for my family, 8 minutes per side would have been perfect. But that meant the leftovers were great and reheated to perfection. Look at me cutting on the bias and all.

For my dear husband I also made baked potatoes and Caesar salad- his favs! Wait until next time to see the decadent - but lighter- lemon desert- his other fav!

Here he is with his big Daddy presents. What was inside you ask???? 

Everything to do with MEAT! This mini 'sliders' burger maker - good for winter time grilling. And the other bag was a hamburger patty maker - like the one my mom used in the 80's. Retro eh!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...